Mac Low, Eigner, Weiner, Howe, Coolidge

9:26 AM / Posted by indolent mendicant /

Jackson Mac Low had some things to tell me in his poetry. In 'Dances' there is life in movement and motion. There are unders and overs. Things happen. His quote from the intro made sense as a guiding principle when writing poetry: "avoid the intrusions of the author as ego (and to foreground language as such)."
'Trope Market' - luscious word play. Musical, complex, ending with a jazz drum beat. And '59th Light' is lovely. Is the ending inconsistent with the rest of the piece? Well, if I'm being picky I guess it is, but that doesn't mean it's inappropriate. I liked the poem, nonetheless.
Then there comes the 'Twenties.' Meh. Spaces are the absence of meaning.

Eigner has done some nice things. I like his back story, his condition of existence, because he lives his own constraint. What he writes is a presenting without insisting.

Weiner and Howe, and even the venerated Clark Coolidge left me cold. The anthology presents all works as important by virtue of being collected. So I wish to regard them with appropriate reverence. But their aim is not true, in my case. I loosed their arrows at my perceptions, and they all missed. Should specific disparagements be asked for, I will supply them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment